Borneo Safari Package
Experience the highlights of Borneo in comfort. Sun at the island, cool breeze of the mountain, a glimpse of local culture, taste of the jungle and the cities. Stay at 5-star hotels, Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort and National Geographic Unique Lodge of the World - Sukau Rainforest Lodge.
- Stay at the luxurious Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort
- Explore the jungle of Gaya Island
- Journey to the foothills of Mount Kinabalu and explore Kinabalu Park's Mountain Garden and education centre
- Visit Mari-Mari Cultural Village to discover some of Sabah Borneo's ethnic tribes
- Observe the endangered orangutans at Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre
- Get a glimpse and learn about the Sun Bears at Borneo Sunbear Conservations Centre
- 02 Nights stay at Sukau Rainforest Lodge, National Geographic unique lodges of the world, Superior Room. Travel to SRL by speedboat
- 02 afternoon river cruises and 01 early morning river cruise in search of Borneo's wildlife and birdlife
- Nature walk along Hornbill Boardwalk and Attenborough Boardwalk to learn about the flora in the area and maybe even sight some wildlife and bird life.
- At Sukau Rainforest Lodge, enjoy a night safari river cruise through Kinabatangan River to spot nocturnal wildlife (Optional Tour)
- After breakfast in Sukau Rainforest Lodge, explore the elephant migration path on a 2-hour Rasig Wildlife Trek (Optional Tour)
This tour includes a stay in our Superior rooms and travel to SRL by speedboat. For an upgrade to our new Villa rooms, please see the Rates tab.
DAY 1 : KOTA KINABALU
Your guide and captain will meet you upon your arrival at Kota Kinabalu airport and transfer to Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort (Kinabalu Sea View) for overnight stay.
DAY 2 : GAYA ISLAND RAINFOREST TOUR
Pickup from your hotel in the morning to the Sutera jetty where we'll board a boat enroute to Gaya Island. Immerse yourself in a nature trek in Gaya Island, located 30-minutes by speedboat from Kota Kinabalu. Choose between a shorter trail of 2km or a more challenging route of 4.5km, depending on your fitness level and how much time you’d like to spend on the beach thereafter. Along the trek, learn about the unique medicinal plants, tropical hardwood trees and tropical Dipterocarp rainforest.
After the trek, enjoy a packed lunch by the beach before venturing for a swim, a snorkel (rental surcharge) or simply laze away. A great way to dispel the jet lag as you’ll almost certainly be well relaxed and rested after this. Return to Kota Kinabalu for overnight at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort – Kinabalu Sea View. (Breakfast & Packed Lunch)Please bring along towel, hat, walking shoes, insect repellent, drinking water bottle, swim wear and sun block lotion.
DAY 3 : KINABALU NATIONAL PARK
We take a 2 hours drive overland to the foothills of Mt. Kinabalu at 1500m above sea level. Have a short stop at Pekan Nabalu market to savour local fruits in season before proceeding to the Kinabalu National Park. There, we visit the Education Centre and Mountain Garden. If weather permits, take a guided walk on one of the trails in the cool surroundings to explore the montane forest. Return to Kota Kinabalu and overnight at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort – Kinabalu Sea View. (Breakfast & Lunch)
DAY 4 : MARI MARI CULTURAL VILLAGE
Drive approximately 20 minutes to Mari-Mari Cultural Village where an array of Sabah’s culture comes alive. Visit each tribes traditional house to learn about the different cultures and way of life. Partake in some in-house activities, unique to each trive. A cultural performance tops off the show before we move on for lunch at the Dining Hall. You may shop for handicrafts, take photos or just enjoy the natural surroundings thereafter. Be sure to try delectable traditional and fusion cuisines on offer during the tour. Return to Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort for overnight – Kinabalu Sea View. (Breakfast & Lunch)
DAY 5 : KOTA KINABALU, SANDAKAN, SEPILOK & SUKAU RAINFOREST LODGE
Transfer to airport for your flight to Sandakan (recommended MH2042 / AK6492 ETD 0700hrs ETA 0750hrs). On arrival at Sandakan Airport, transfer to Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre. We proceed to watch a video show about the plight of the Orang Utans and the rehabilitation efforts ongoing at the Centre. Walk ten minutes through the rainforest on wooden boardwalks to witness the feeding of the orang utans at 1000hrs, and then we continue to the newly completed enclosed nursery area for young orang utans. Thereafter visit the Borneo Sun Bear Conservation Centre to learn about conservation of the world’s smallest bear.
After lunch, transfer to Sandakan jetty for a 2.5 hours boat journey to the multi awards winning Sukau Rainforest Lodge along Sabah's longest river, Kinabatangan with opportunity to view birds and wildlife. Take a river cruise using electric motor in search of wildlife and birds. Enjoy candle light dinner overlooking the riverbank followed by slide show and interpretation by our naturalist guide. Stay overnight at the Sukau Rainforest Lodge. (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner)
Note on Camera Use at Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre:
For any camera with zoom lens from 100 to 400mm, video camera or other video recording equipment for personal use are chargeable at RM10.00 per unit. For any camera (fixed-lens - 400mm and above ) or any film-making equipment are chargeable at RM1,000.00 per unit. Mode of payment is cash only.
DAY 6 : SUKAU RAINFOREST LODGE
Take a 0600hrs morning river cruise up the Kinabatangan River to Kelenanap oxbow lake to view more birds and wildlife. After breakfast, proceed for an educational tour along the lodge’s Hornbill Boardwalk with our in-house naturalist. In the afternoon, we proceed for another river cruise for more wildlife. Stay overnight at the Sukau Rainforest Lodge. (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner)Our Night Cruise comes Highly Recommended by just about all our guests (available with a small fee)
Experience profound relaxation and comfort at Halia Spa, Sukau Rainforest Lodge, as we provide an 'escape from the ordinary' by offering you a blend of both traditional and modern Spa treatments. Enjoy special deals when you book online!
DAY 7 : SUKAU, SANDAKAN & KOTA KINABALU
After breakfast, we return to Sandakan by speed boat. For those taking the 1430hrs flight to Kota Kinabalu, we proceed to the airport after lunch. The rest who are taking the evening flight, will then proceed to visit the Rainforest Discovery Centre. Take a bird eye's view of the centre from the canopy walkway and hanging bridge, explore the botanical garden, home to various species of flora. Proceed to Sandakan Memorial Park for a short visit before taking your flight back. On arrival, our guide will transfer you back to overnight at Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort (Deluxe Garden View). (Breakfast & Lunch)
DAY 8 : KOTA KINABALU
Free at leisure. Free at own leisure or explore the city using the free city shuttle available. Stay overnight at Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort (Deluxe Garden View). (Breakfast)
DAY 9 : DEPARTURE
Your guide will transfer you to airport and bid farewell for your onward journey. (Breakfast)
THINGS TO BRING: Please bring hat, insect repellent water bottle and sun blockBorneo Eco Tours is moving towards a plastic-free environment, so, please join our movement by bringing your own refillable water bottle during your time with us.
Tours and transfers, accommodation and meals as specified, entrance fees and English speaking guide.
Domestic airfare, camera fee and items not mentioned, Tourism Tax (TTx) flat rate of RM10 per room per night.
Note on Travel Insurance
Customers are encouraged to purchase their own travel insurance before travelling to Borneo. We recommend you to select a travel insurance policy that covers not only your medical expenses (including emergency repatriation) but also personal liability, cancellation, curtailment and loss of luggage. Doing so can prevent major disruptions and additional costs.
Rates For Travelling Until 31 March 2019
|RATES PER PERSON||SINGLE SUPPLEMENT|
|Superior||RM 5311||RM 2825|
|Villa||RM 5716||RM 3125|
High season surcharge:
|Shangri-la Tanjung Aru Resort||1st - 14th July, 29th Sep - 7th Oct 2018||RM 100|
|1st - 5th April, 15th July - 31st Aug, 24th Dec - 2nd Jan 2019, 3rd - 9th Feb 2019||RM 200|
|Shangri-la Rasa Ria Resort, Tuaran||1st - 14th July, 29th Sep - 7th Oct 2018||RM 95|
|15th July - 31st Aug, 24th Dec - 2nd Jan 2019, 3rd - 9th Feb 2019||RM 200|
|Sukau Rainforest Lodge||July & August||RM 160|
Upgrade to villa: All our 20 new villas are now up and ready for guests. If you have booked a superior room in advance but want to upgrade to a villa, you can! Just pay the price difference and you’re all set!
The following discounts apply to tours that include Sukau Rainforest Lodge ONLY:
- Children age 3 and below - Free
- Children ages 4 to 12 may share a room with ONE adult - 25% discount
- Children ages 4 to 12 may share a room with TWO adult - 50% discount
Giving Back: Every international adult guest who stays at SRL contributes MYR20 for Conservation Contribution (CC).Read More
Effective 1st September 2017, foreign guests will be charged a flat rate of RM10 per room per night for all Tourism Tax (TTx) registered hotel classifications in Malaysia.
Unfortunately we are back home again :(
We would like to thank you and the whole team of Borneo Eco Tours for the perfect organisation of our travel. Be sure, we had a wonderful time!
A big Terima Kasih to Osman (great guide) and Patrick (perfect and reliable driver) and the whole crew of Sukau Rainforest Lodge, who also did a great job.
We will highly recommend you as THE tour operator for tips to Borneo. Today I wrote a review on TripAdvisor. You might find it under my alias "callaxxx". To (maybe) attract more German guests, I wrote it in German language.
Alle the best to you and kind regards, Barbara
Barbara Angenendt , Germany, 22-30 June 2017
Did a 15 day tour of Sarawak and Sabah and in every detail Eco tours were tantastic. Great drivers and guides for whom nothing was too much trouble. Wonderful hotels, all centrally located, and great food everywhere we went. Special mention to Sheila in KK whose knowledge and enthusiasm were astounding. From first email to last drop off a truely wondertul experience. Thank you
casper16167, United Kingdom, March 2016
NOTE: Wheelchair-friendly and adapted rooms are also available at the lodge.
Weâ€™re also proud to announce that Sukau Rainforest Lodge is now certified with the Travelife Gold Certification! To know more about the certification and Travelife, go here.
Presently, Sukau Rainforest Lodge has 40 rooms; 20 Superior Rooms and 20 Borneo Villas. The lodge has also been branded as a National Geographic Unique Lodges of the World and has received numerous awards and recognition namely, the Best Nature Lodge in Sabah by Sabah Tourism in 2013/2014, Asiaâ€™s Leading Green Hotel for the 17th World Travel Awards 2010, and Best Independent Accommodation by PATA InSPIRE Awards 2015.
The ecolodge was built in 1995 in the style of traditional Malay architecture using several Borneo hardwood species. Erected on stilts on the banks of Kinabatangan River, Sukau Rainforest Lodge offers a nature and wildlife experience that goes hand in hand with luxury and comfort. The lodge also includes the Melapi Restaurant on the pier, Gecko Lounge and Bar, a plunge pool, Gomantong Hall meeting area, Hornbill Boardwalk and Attenborough Boardwalk for nature walks, Kadai gift shop and also Halia Spa amongst other conveniences.
Sukau Rainforest Lodge is doing its best to uphold its ecolodge ethos by using a Green & Sustainable policy as a guideline which both staff and guests are encouraged to follow. Some of the lodgeâ€™s sustainable practices includes rainwater harvesting for shower and solar heating to generate hot water supply. All rooms are also equipped with energy saving inverter air-conditioning and LED light bulbs. Besides that, river safari cruises are conducted by boats powered by electric motors and eco-friendly outboard engines.
The Lower Kinabatangan Wildlife Sanctuary which covers an area of 26,800 hectares, forms part of the Kinabatangan region which is the largest floodplain the Malaysia covering a total of 23% of the land area of Sabah or 16,800 sq.km. Gazetted in 2005 as a gift to the Earth, it has a diverse ecosystem from coastal mangrove swamp, to riparian, freshwater and dipterocarp and oxbow vegetation teaming with wildlife supporting ten species of primates including more than 1,000 orang utans, proboscis monkeys, more than 300 Borneo pygmy elephants, 50 species of mammals, 20 species of reptiles and over 1,026 species of plants.
Birdlife is especially rich here (over 325 species have been sighted in the area) including eight species of hornbills, kingfishers, darters, owls, kites, eagles, broadbills, doves, storm storks, herons, hawks, ospreys, falcon, pheasants, parakeets, bee eaters, woodpeckers, pittas, bulbuls, forktails, babblers, warblers, flycatchers, orioles, flowerpeckers, spiderhunters, among others.
- 2014-2015 Malaysia Tourism Awards - WINNER / Best Hotel Services / 3 Star Hotel Category
- 2015 PATA InSPIRE Awards - WINNER / Best Independent Accommodation
- 2015 - 2011 TripAdvisor Hall of Fame (Five-Time Winner of the Certificate of Excellence from 2011-2015)
- 2013 Sabah Tourism Awards - WINNER / Best Nature Lodge
- 2013 Wildasia Responsible Tourism Awards - WINNER / Most Inspiring Responsible Tourism Accommodation Provider
- 2010 - 17th World Travel Awards - WINNER / Asia's Leading Green Hotel
- 2009 Sabah Tourism Awards - Finalist, Excellence in Hotel Services - Nature Lodge
- 2009 - 16th World Travel Awards - Finalist / World's Leading Eco-Lodges
- 2009 - 16th World Travel Awards - Finalist / Asia's Leading Eco-Lodges
- 2009 - National Geographic Adventure's Magazine (Top 50 Ecolodges / Jungle Category)
- 2008 - 15th World Travel Awards - Finalist / Asia Leading Green Hotel
- 2008 - 15th World Travel Awards - Finalist / World's Leading Eco-Lodges
- 2006 - ECOCLUB.com Ecolodge Awards - 3rd Prize Winner
- 2006 First Choice Responsible Tourism Awards - Highly Commended/ Best small hotel
- 1999 IH&RA Green Hotelier Awards - 1st Runner-up
- Top 10 Ecotourism Hotspots by ShermansTravel.com
- 1999 The Green Hotelier of the Year 1999 Award - Winner
- 1997 British Airways Tourism for Tomorrow Award - Best Lodge Pacific Region Winner
We are incredibly excited to unveil our newly built Villas! The villas are exquisitely designed and furnished with a unique Borneo flavor that we hope will provide you with extra comfort and will further heighten your Borneo experience during your stay with us.
- Villas are 60% larger than our superior rooms
- En-suite bathroom features Hans-Grohe hot water rain and hand showers and are 100% larger than our Superior room en-suite bathrooms
- Private balcony with patio chairs
- Option of double bed and queen-sized bed arrangements
- Energy saving inverter air-conditioning supplemented by ceiling fan
- Villa rooms are fully mosquito netted. All windows and balcony doors have insect screens
- 100% LED lighting
- Decorated and furnished with Borneo styled crafts and motifs
- More privacy, away from main areas